The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Frederick High School Welcomes Newest LYNX Advocate

It was a shock to all returning Frederick High School students when the news broke. Some believed it started as a rumor, others were quicker to find out it was fact. Former English teacher, Mrs. Tongyai, better known as Mrs. TG by staff and students, is stepping out of the position and into a new role for the school: An FHS LYNX Advocate.

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023, an interview was conducted with Mrs. TG about her newest position. To those unfamiliar with the title, a LYNX Advocate is a member of staff who is responsible for planning and brainstorming personalized field trips for students that further explore career choices of their liking — free of charge. The program is exclusive to Frederick High School and is notoriously known as one of Frederick High School’s driving factors. 

The position had opened up over the summer of 2023. Mrs. Tongyai saw the opportunity and began to ask around. The decision to strive for the position was made in July of the same year.

“I felt heard and seen,” said Mrs. TG while describing her experience in the LYNX interview. “I thought to myself; ‘I can do this’.” 

Since the start, Mrs. TG has made plans for what she hopes to bring to the LYNX program, including but not limited to: more author/graphic artist visits, an increase in nature related experiences, and a trip to Shepherd University for students who seek a career in education. She hopes to have these experiences up and available to students some time between October and the Spring semester.

Mrs. TG quipped, “I’m excited just to go on off campus experiences.”

To many, the change in position has been jarring, confusing and, to some, upsetting. Mrs. TG hears and is understanding of the student body in their feelings.

“I knew there were gonna be a lot of people disappointed… I enjoyed my job and I enjoyed having those connections with students.”

In a separate response, she continued, “I enjoyed having that challenge of like ‘how can I get kids motivated and engaged in this subject they otherwise wouldn’t have cared about’.”

To these concerns, Mrs. TG answered what she plans to do for the student body in her new position.

“I wanted to try and reach more students,” she said. Mrs. TG claimed that being an English teacher was beginning to become a progressive comfort position for her. She wanted to take this opportunity to forward her leadership position among students.

Many students, especially graduating seniors, wonder about Mrs. TG’s ability to see them walk across the stage later this school year. Considering her attendance last year as a Row Captain, many may wonder what her role may now be during the ceremony.

At the presentation of the question, TG responded with a reassuring statement that it’s a LYNX advocate requirement to attend graduation ceremonies. Her role has since changed, for she’ll now be attending as someone who reads out the school’s VIPs and Board of Education messages prior to the student’s walking across the stage. She’s claimed that she’s going to find it difficult not to cry when she watches her previous students graduate, much like she does every year. 

Before the conclusion of the interview, Mrs. TG was asked what words she would like to share with the student body before this school year truly kicks into gear: “Take advantage of the LYNX program. Go explore.”

It’s clear that Mrs. TG is excited and determined to take this next step in her career in hopes of furthering her reach towards the student body at Frederick High School she has grown to love. Her office is located on the third floor of the school building in Room 312, alongside the other LYNX Advocates. She has many faces to meet, and is excited to see you all.