The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Denny’s VS IHOP: Who is the Real Breakfast Champion?

Many people are well familiar with the phrase, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” but which breakfast establishment takes it more seriously? For years now, Denny’s and the International House of Pancakes, or IHOP for short, have been in a delicious feud against each other. Like asking Pepsi or Coke, the answer you will receive will be different from person to person. Some may have never tried one place, but frequented the other. Some may choose one for travel reasons or convenience. However, let’s level the playing field and explore the good, the bad and the tasty of both restaurants to settle the score once and for all.

In terms of longevity, Denny’s takes the (pan)cake. The business began operating in 1953, a whopping 5 years prior to IHOPs first location in Los Angeles. This is something that Denny’s seems to take much pride in through old photos that can be found both on their website and in many Denny’s destinations, such as the ones here in Frederick. However, when it comes to branding, IHOP had an idea of its identity from the start. With the full title of the restaurant, IHOP was quick to claim its glory from the moment it was created. Denny’s, on the other hand, had a bit of a more exploratory start. Initially branded as “Danny’s”, its primary focus was on donuts and coffee. It wasn’t until 1961 when they relaunched themselves as a chain restaurant for families.

With this information, should Denny’s still be given its title of the longer running breakfast restaurant between the two? To that, I say no. The franchise’s iconic name, Denny’s, hadn’t even been attached to the brand until 1959, one year after IHOP opened its doors. Denny’s iconic Grand Slam® dish wasn’t introduced until nearly 2 decades later in 1977. To get pancakes back in the late 1950s to 1970s, IHOP seemed to be the way to go. To that, IHOP won this point. 

Let’s open the doors of the establishments and take a look at their menus. First, let’s take a seat at one of IHOP’s iconic red, blue or gray-ish brown booths. Things such as sweet crepes, loaded omelets, thick french toast, and tall, tasty milkshakes are all there to greet the hungry customer. Meanwhile, while seated in Denny’s vibrant red cushions, you find yourself flipping through tall and delicious burgers, cheesy melts and handheld sandwiches, and the one and only grand slam platters. To choose between the two would be difficult because it’s all dependent on what you feel you’re craving at that moment. If you’re looking for something more light and sweet, IHOP is certainly the place to go with their Choconana pancakes and strawberry crepes. However, if you’re looking for something more hearty to start your day, a good All-American Slam® could do the trick. In this case, both IHOP and Denny’s earn their points in this round.

Finally, let’s take a look at the prices. For the purpose of this practice, let’s craft identical meals and take a look at their totals. Imagine being a hungry, hungry customer looking for a good meal. A burger with an à la carte side of fluffy buttermilk pancakes and a chocolate milkshake. First, let’s go check Denny’s. Placed in the cart was a single cheeseburger with american cheese, a Jr. chocolate milkshake, and one stack of pancakes, resulting in a total of $17.68 after Maryland state tax. A delicious brunch meal for under $20 may not sound all that bad, but before you sit down to dine, let’s spring over to IHOP. With its classic steakburger which comes with a side of 2 buttermilk pancakes and one of their house-made chocolate milkshakes, many may not be surprised at where their money lands. After Maryland state tax, IHOP is actually $2.76 more and sits at $20.44. Considering the fact IHOP prides itself on novelty pancakes, this makes sense. They deem themselves to be more classy and tasteful in comparison to their competitors. However, for the sake of your wallet, the winner of this point goes to Denny’s.

So what does this mean? After all three tests, we’ve found ourselves caught in a tie. IHOP, the winner of the longest standing pancakes, Denny’s, the winner of the cost, and together they gained a point for their unique flavors. At the end of the day, who really is the real breakfast champion? Well, the answer is easy! It’s Cracker Barrel.

Company | About Us. Denny’s. (2023). https://www.dennys.com/company

Denny’s Menu | Browse Our Full Menu of Delicious Option. Denny’s. (2023). https://www.dennys.com/menu 

History | IHOP History & Timeline – Proudly Serving Since 1958. IHOP. (2023). https://www.ihop.com/en/about-ihop/history

IHOP Menu | IHOP Menu – Breakfast, Appetizers, Lunch & Entrees. IHOP. (2023). https://www.ihop.com/en/menu