The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Iceland Volcano Eruption

Iceland is known as one of the coldest counties in the world. Being one the of the smallest countries located in the North Atlantic Ocean, Iceland is famously known for its Northern lights, beautiful glaciers, hot springs, volcanoes and more. With a small population of around 366,000 people , Iceland is considered a very little country, with only 25.452 acres for the whole country. Iceland’s small, close family type of community is gravely protected by its people.

The world is averaging around 50-70 volcanic eruptions a year, The Iceland Volcano Eruption is now a new one that we can add on to the list. In the last 50 years there has only ever been 20 volcano eruptions in Iceland. With roughly 130 volcanoes the chance of a volcano erupts is only every 4-5 years, so why is it that the latest one is only a year apart for the last?

On November 10, 2023 a tragic volcanic eruption sadly occurred in a small town in Iceland. Around 10:17 PM, Icelandic timing, hot lava came unexpectedly spewing through the ground,causing this small town to crack in half. A sheet of magma has moved between the Earth’s surface. With such an unexpected eruption residents and scientist were not expecting this at all. One resident even stated they walked to the movie theater, watched their movie and by time they got out the movies the eruption was just there.

Going back to around that same Monday some time at 9:00 PM, a minor earthquake appeared. Scientists are saying minor earthquakes are normal for Iceland, but when they are a few seconds or minutes apart thats when you can confirm magma is moving, and most likely an eruption will occur. In most situations not as quickly as this one did.

With no one and nothing in most of the surrounding areas except scientists and professionals , it makes it easy to research what happened, and is also a huge relief to know no one is in danger. With stakes this low scientist say it will take a while for any real damage to happed to anything besides natural resources.

The magma is currently stable and has been since Monday the 18th, if there is to be new magma that flows so far, there would be no leading causes with scientists saying they’ll keep a close look, in case there will be.

This has been the last update as of now as reports and scientist say they are keeping and close eyes and look at this situation. 

Work cited 

Hui, Sylvia. “Iceland Volcano: Here Is Everything You Need to Know About the Eruption | AP News.” AP News, 20 Dec. 2023, apnews.com/article/iceland-volcano-eruption-why-83b44aeeefde4d6fee49739d47129d6e.

“Iceland Volcano Erupts, Lighting up the Sky and Spewing Fast-moving Lava.” NBC News, 19 Dec. 2023,

www.nbcnews.com/news/world/iceland-volcano-erupts-lighting-sky-reykjanes-peninsula-rcna130363.

Phillips, Aleks. “Iceland Volcano Update: New Eruption Warning Issued.” Newsweek, 28 Dec. 2023, www.newsweek.com/iceland-volcano-update-new-eruption-warning-magma-accumulates-1856072.