The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Idalia: A hurricane that caused immense damage and changed lives

Wednesday August 30, 2023 at 7:45 A.M. Hurricane Idalia reached Keaton Beach located along the gulf coast of Florida. Idalia intensified in the Gulf Coast of Mexico before making its way down to Florida. On its way down, it turned from a tropical storm to a category 3 hurricane. Idalia brought 125 mile per hour winds and flash flooding along its path. It was expected to bring approximately two to four inches of rain to parts of Eastern North Carolina.  When Idalia reached Florida, it caused many people to lose their homes and businesses due to flash flooding. As the water in Florida starts to recede, we can begin to see the damages caused by the hurricane.  

Idalia is the strongest hurricane to make landfall in Florida’s Big Bend region. Mayor John Tecklenburg of Charles Town, South Carolina reported 22 water rescues of people trapped inside flooded cars. One person had died in Georgia from a tree falling on top of their car along the Florida border. Two men, one 59 and one 40 years old, died when they lost control of their vehicle reported by Florida Highway Patrol.The storm’s destruction had knocked out power for more than 450,000 residents in Florida and Georgia. The storm has already caused around $18 to $20 billion in damage. There have been multiple clean up parties throughout Florida including FEMA who has done a lot and is still offering help to those who need it.

Work citation 

Czachor, Emily M, and Paula cohen. “Hurricane Idalia Slams Florida’s Gulf Coast, Georgia, Moves into Carolinas.” CBS News, CBS Interactive, 30 Aug. 2023, www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-idalia-landfall-category-wind-speeds-florida-impact-path-meteorologists/.

Shapiro, Emily, et al. “Idalia Updates: Damaging Tornadoes, Severe Flooding from Florida to Carolinas.” ABC News, ABC News Network, 31 Aug. 2023, abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/hurricane-idalia/?id=102614228. 

“Clean and Sanitize Assistance for Hurricane Idalia.” FEMA.Gov, 6 Sept. 2023, www.fema.gov/fact-sheet/clean-and-sanitize-assistance-hurricane-idalia.