The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

High School Etiquette: How To High School For Underclassmen!

I know we’ve all been there in the halls walking and there’s THREE PEOPLE STANDING IN THE WAY! Well, if the person standing in the hall is you, you’re going against the grain, walk to your class. Here’s my list of high school unspoken rules you should be following.

• Stop standing in the halls 

We’ve all done it before, but especially this year, it’s got to stop. With over 1845 students enrolled here at Frederick High School this year, you’re in the way. I’d suggest going to your class and talking in the classroom instead, if you’re all in the same hall or on the same floor. If you’re going to your separate classes, then texting each other or starting a call between classes would be better for you and everyone else.

• Slowly walking

Kindly, move your feet from one step per minute to twelve immediately. People are not trying to be late just because you can’t keep pace with the crowd. We have five minutes between classes and just because it’s not enough time doesn’t mean we can’t try! When you stop everyone is behind and could be late. Keep your face out of your phone, be aware of your surroundings and I’m sure we will all get to class on time. 

• Disturbing classes in sessions

Whether it’s running in the halls or talking too loudly, classes are still in session. Disturbing classes goes against high school etiquette, especially for those with learning disabilities. You’re making it harder on everyone to study and pay attention. For some people with learning disabilities any distraction could put them behind. Keep in mind the new rules we have when it comes to late work. When you miss more than five days or are behind on work, you are now expected to finish it in class or at home within a five day window. You lose days if you’re out without a note or real reason for being out. If someone isn’t paying attention, work isn’t getting done and this means you’re affecting everyone.

• Messy lunch lines

For the lunch lines near the walls, move towards the side to make space. For the two lines in the middle, keep the line straight and watch out for others moving through. We all want to get and eat our lunches, but the time dwindles the more out of order we are. Don’t forget lunch is only 30 minutes!

• Public Display of Affection (PDA)

Stop; just stop. We do not want to see that. It’s gross! Keep your lips to yourself or behind closed doors. No one comes to school to see your lips on your partners. You make the lonely feel alone, and those who don’t care for that type of affection are grossed out. You’re probably standing in the hall while you kiss which is even more of a reason to get out the way. But if you have to do so, stop in front of 330 for a lovely song from Mr. Vandervander!

All and all, we have to try and be conscious of each other. It’s only considerate. There’s strangers in the building you don’t know trying to make the best of the cards we’ve been dealt. Be kind, consider what you’re doing and take notice of the struggles of others.