The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Cadets Volleyball: The Start Of The Pre-Season

As a great way to ramp up the Cadet pride, Varsity Volleyball takes the 3-0 win against the Francis Scott Key Eagles. Starting off shaky, the Cadets were already down by one point due to a new rule that was created four years ago but was put into place this year. The rule states, if your jersey number is the same color as the jersey, it’s illegal. (ex. If the jersey is black and the number is black, it’s not visible enough so it makes it illegal.) Seeing the Cadet’s jerseys were fully black, including the number, the Eagles were given an extra point. 

Though the Eagles were given the “head start”, this did not stop the Cadets. With an easy ace, meaning when the ball hits the ground or someone touches it and no one else can get it back in play, the Cadet’s quickly stepped on the gas and tied the points. There was no going back from this point. As the scrimmage went on, the points kept racked up with speed. It went from the Eagles to the Cadet’s, back and forth. 

Though there were many errors like balls dropped to the ground, hits going straight into the net, and serves going out, the Cadets were able to win the first set with a score of 25-21. Continuing with set two, the Eagles were able to win some point’s off the Cadets. Just as the Eagles thought they’re in it, Junior Ngun Len and Senior Taylor Wiley quickly tied the score with back to back aces. The Cadet’s brought the score to a tie and ultimately ended the second set. The Cadet student section are now at their toes. Their JV team cheered loudly in the stands, realizing they’re now at the final set to lock in a win.

Unlike the last two sets, the Cadet’s were in their prime. With neat sets from Junior Charlotte Tanner, kills from Junior Josie Elliot and Freshman Araiah Chapman, to aces from Junior Katie DeGirolamo. From the sidelines, head coach Courtney Hutchinson and assistant coach Caitlin Ambruster put in more energy than any other coach, consistently putting in the work and showed their coaching skills. 

With the clock ticking and the points racking up, it was finally time. The score of 24-21 went to the Cadets with a serve from Josie Elliot, effortlessly went over the net. A player on the opposite team passed it a little tight. When all of a sudden… BOOM! Senior, Munira Akwada ended the game with an amazing overpass kill and the Cadet’s took the win home!