The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

New Beginnings; Girls Flag Football Comes To Fcps

Late last year, the national football team the Baltimore Ravens reached out to coach Hammond and FCPS about starting  girls flag football. All Frederick County Public Schools piloted this for a new fall sport flag football. On Wednesday, September 30th, all FCPS schools had their first game of the season hosted by frederick highschool. 

Frederick High School participated in the Frederick against Oakdale game. The game started off strong with Frederick starting on offense. Lara Adeoye #18  starting off with a great spin getting away from Oakdale’s defense and catching a great pass from Kacee Martin #29, Frederick’s quarterback. Oakdale’s defense quickly put a stop to it, pulling her flag. As time passed the game got very close. Frederick had a good offense, but Oakdale’s good defense didn’t give Frederick a chance to score a touchdown. Oakdale made a close call, almost scoring a touchdown, but Frederick was not letting their defense, being so strong, barely get by. Not long after, Oakdale had Frederick far down the field needing that ground. Marlee Williams #23  made a great catch running down the field to get us closer to our touchdown zone, but her flag was pulled at the 25 yard line.

The game was tied. Both teams played well, however the score resulted in  0-0. This leads us to overtime, where the stakes are high. No one knew who would get to their touchdown zone. Would it be Frederick or will it be Oakdale? A few seconds passed and a throw to Jayanna Goines #30, from quarterback Kacee Martin led to a touchdown and to Frederick’s first win of the season, the final score was 1-0.