The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Volleyball senior night

With the second to last game of the 2023 Volleyball season against Maryland School for the Deaf, the Frederick Cadets send Seniors, Munira Akwada, Ava Sholter, and Taylor Wiley off with love and appreciation.

The team moms of the varsity team and the junior varsity team took their time to set up the gym with a big black and gold balloon arch, black and gold streamers along the gym bleachers, and posters with throwback pictures of the three seniors. 

Before the game, a big “feast” was set up outside in the common area. Fruits, sandwiches, cookies, and sparkling cider for drinks. The girls ate and reminisced about moments from when they first played volleyball for the school.

Gifts like customized cups with their names on it, a photobook with baby pictures, pictures from when they first started playing for the Cadets, and group pictures of their team bonding times were given to the players to remind them of their journey. W

To give the seniors some recognition, their parents and loved ones walked them out of the balloon arch while the commentator talked about their future goals and their past four years with the volleyball program.

With cheers filling up the gym,  The cadets then took on their opponent. 

The lineup for this game was changed as so were positions. Taylor Wylie, who was originally a setter or defensive specialist, played as a wing hitter or outside hitter. A spiker who hits on the left side of the net and helps terminate the play.

Munira Akwada played as her regular position, middle blocker. Middle blocker is a spiker who hits and blocks the other team’s offensive hits to try and terminate a play.

As for Ava Sholter, who was originally a wing hitter or outside hitter, played as a libero. A defensive specialist with the best ball control when passing. 

With a whopping score of 3-0, To the cadets, the seniors leave this game with nothing but a win against Maryland School for the deaf.