The High Flier

The Student News Site of Frederick High School

The High Flier

The High Flier

Boysbasketball game
January 11, 2024
Unusual Animals as Pets
January 11, 2024
Top 5 Video Games
January 11, 2024
Prettiest Vacation spots
January 11, 2024

Hurricane Otis

2023 has had many tragic events and devasing losses throughout this whole year, from occurrences like Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Hawaii wildfires, Russian Ukraine war,  South Sudan climate change, and more. Recently another sad event occurred when a small city in Mexico called Acapulco endured  a deadly hurricane called Otis.

On October 25, 2023 a small city in Mexico, called Acapulco, was hit with what has claims to be one the worst and most powerful hurricanes in their history. This category 5 hurricane has killed over 44 people, destroyed an estimated 50,000 homes, and has left a total of 47 unaccounted for people. With a hurricane this unexpected forecasters were left in shock after just day one’s results. With winds up to 165 this storm left Acapulcos residents in panic with little to no 

time to prepare for this devasing event.

Micheal Brennan, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, admits they were not the best at preparing for this storm, to the government of Mexico only issuing a hurricane watch on October 23rd , two days before Otis, can we can see just how unexpected and shocking this storm really turned out to be. Tuesday, October 24, 2023 around 4am central time they issued a hurricane warning. Later that same evening the storm’s status had increased by a lot, causing a fair amount of people to not have enough time to prepare.

Throughout the whole period of hurricane Otis it was a scary time as the Acapola international airport closed, most houses went out of power, public transportation was blocked and more. Though it has only been two weeks since Otis sadly struck , the hurricane still effects Acapulco daily from many businesses still being damaged and some even looted and, schools still remain closed.This small remote city remains damaged despite the effort to improve it as of our recent update from several  media courses cited.

Word Cited

Bruneau, Michel. “Acapulco Was Built to Withstand Earthquakes, but Not Hurricane Otis’ Destructive Winds – How Building Codes Failed This Resort City.” The Conversation, theconversation.com/acapulco-was-built-to-withstand-earthquakes-but-not-hurricane-otis-destructive-winds-how-building-codes-failed-this-resort-city-217147.

Niiler, Eric. “Why Did Hurricane Otis Get so Deadly so Fast? America’s Top Expert Explains.” WSJ, 5 Nov. 2023,